Sunday, November 14, 2010

What's the Point of the iPad?

The iPad is not really news anymore. It's been around since April. So what are people using it for? AdAge just reported last week that magazine apps are falling short in consumer preference (read the article here). What about businesses - how are they using the iPad? Case in point...

Our office recently purchased an iPad for a variety of uses, one of which happens to be for new business development. Its silky smooth screen and digital allure is (literally) at my fingertips for meetings, presentations, or anything else I might think the iPad would be useful.

I've used it for a few meetings, but I can't say I am totally sold on this thing. Especially for the purpose to conduct business.The first meeting was with 2 gentlemen in their late fifties, maybe early sixties. I was using the iPad to display creative samples that we had online from previous campaigns. These two guys were so enthralled (with the iPad) I am not sure they really looked at the samples! Sure, the ability to go online or retrieve a file was handy. But, I could do the same thing on my laptop. This is when I'm beginning to think the iPad is just about "looks." Its shiny, small, light and new.

Let's discuss the iPad size factor. Had there been anyone else in the meeting, it would have been hard for everyone to see my sales slideshow - now entitled "Look at my cool toy from Apple!" So with big groups, is the iPad even helpful? I know I can project the image onto a screen, but again, so can I from my laptop. And to create a presentation on the iPad? Forget it! It's a whole lot easier to do it on a laptop or any computer with a regular keyboard and mouse.

But there are good points.
I will admit, its pretty fun to surf the web, read e-mail or watch YouTube videos while just lounging around the house. It is lighter, it loads faster, and it's fun to use. Plus, it doesn't feel like there's a heating pad in my lap like with my laptop.

But for business, I am not sure yet.  What's the Point?  Where are the apps that justify the iPad over a fully-functioning laptop? Where are the apps where I can use the iPad like a remote for a presentation? Or a notepad with virtual and magnetic writing? I know there are "business solution" apps available. I read the list and I also read the reviews - (iPad in business). I'm not sure anyone has really figured out how to use the iPad besides as a platform. But, at a tool - you know, like my laptop.

So, here's my call for a discussion. If you own or are using an iPad, I would love to hear your comments. Do you agree or disagree? What is your favorite app? What's the Point?

No comments:

Post a Comment