Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Marketing Like Human Beings

Before computers, there were phones. And before phones, there was mail. But way before any of this, it was just them. Who’s them? Human beings.


Can you imagine a time when none of these channels of communication existed? I sure can’t. But, the more I think about it, the more I become nostalgic for the time when I didn’t check my e-mail messages on my swanky smart phone, while waiting at a stop light.


Mail, telephones, computers, e-mail (and now Facebook) are all a result of sheer innovation reacting to marketing needs throughout history. However, somewhere in the wake of it all, the innovation (technology) trumped the stander-by (face-to-face communication). But, to blame technology is like blaming french fries for creating childhood obesity.


It is no surprise that we are in the middle of a revolution. Some call it the Information Age. Others call it the Human Revolution. I call it the time to wake up! It is time to wake up and start referring to consumers as human beings. They always have been. And they’ve always wanted good products, good deals, good service and good communication. So why not start marketing like human beings?


Technology is great. I’m using it right now. Yet, as a marketer, I have to think that technology shouldn't be used in substitution for communication. But to ease its transmission. With human being marketing - technology is the vehicle, but not the driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment