Where else in life are you too busy, pre occupied or too afraid to just ask? What about in high school, that attractive girl that you watched from across the room, to nervous to just ask her out. Or when you check in to a hotel or pick up a rental car - deep down wanting an upgrade to a bigger room or nicer car. Heck, even when you are negotiating on a purchase of an appliance, furniture, car or major home improvement project. Did you ever want them to throw in a few extras, but didn't ask?
Twice this week I encountered this "Just Ask." principle. The first was an E-mail Insider column by Neil Berman called "The More You Know Your Customers, The More They Love You." Neil's first point is that so often with our marketing message we just assume we know what customers want from us. But do you really know for sure if you don't ask? Use surveys, interviews, whatever it takes to become familiar with your customer preferences. Then use this information to augment the way you deliver messages related to frequency, content, and channel of your message. I can think of probably 8-12 e-mails that I get regularly from retail stores that I like, but rarely do I open their messages anymore because the information is so far from what I want from them, or their frequency is way too high. Not only will your customers love you more, but they're likely to spend more money with you too if you take the time to ask.
![]() |
| Dayna Steele |
So as we head into a great holiday weekend, and officially cross the halfway point for 2011, take some time to reflect on missed opportunities in your life and career when you could have asked, but didn't. The main reason why we don't ask is usually out of fear of rejection. Fear that the person won't say yes, or that they will have an adverse response to your request. I would like to challenge you to get over it and speak up! The worst they can do is say no.
Happy July 4th to all.


No comments:
Post a Comment