Process, Process, Process. It seems that everything that we do, in all parts of our lives, are based upon a process. There's a certain "way" that we go about completing a task. There is a certain series of steps that we adhere too, and usually its because we're told to.
Think about your last trip to the DMV. Here in Texas, that usually means a 3,4,5 or 6 hour wait in a series of lines, a variety of forms to fill out, payment, pictures... I understand the value of having a process - but what's the experience like if you are forced to deal with it as a customer? I think I will leave my comments to myself.
We have no shortage of processes that we follow at our agency - to be sure that we don't make errors along the way, and so our clients receive the best possible service. The process seems pretty rigid, and there are times I didn't want to follow it, but I did.
Did you ever want to throw that "process" out the window and just do what seems like the right thing to do, no matter what the consequences? This Southwest Airlines Pilot did just that. http://bit.ly/fu84Yx
This story really makes you think about what's important. The pilot could have followed procedure and gotten all 100+ passengers to their destination on time and not really worried too much about Mark. Instead, the pilot took the time to consider the impact on one man's life - the difference that 12 extra minutes would mean to him compared to everyone else.
Are there times when people matter more than process? Absolutely. Just don't forget to act on this thought the next time you find yourself in this Pilot's shoes.
No comments:
Post a Comment