It seems this time of year, we are all reminiscing about the year that's about to end and its many nostalgic highlights. You may be thinking about all the great things you accomplished.Whether those be professional or personal accomplishments.Or, maybe you're recollecting the year's learning experiences - either on or off the job.Yet, don't spend too much time reminiscing (or regretting). Because this is also the time of year to gear up for the fresh start that is ushered in by the new year. Come January 1st, we all get a crystal-clean slate.
So, have you made your goal list for 2011? Are you wondering what the new year will bring for your career, your family, your friends? The worst thing to do with a clean slate is to start off on the wrong foot. That's why I already started brainstorming for next year - lining up the tools and strategies I plan to employ for myself. As a marketer, I know the importance in a strategic plan. It's a surefire fact that goals will be achieved if you have all the right materials. So, to leverage my year, career and personal life in 2011, here are some of those tactics I'm tacking onto my clean slate:
Using Your Bagels
Earlier this year, I read a great approach to daily journal writing by Tom Niesen. It focuses on a daily attention to 6 key areas so to drive your productivity and accomplishments, all representative of the spelling of a popular breakfast item: B-A-G-E-L-S. Behaviors, Attitude, Goals, Evaluate, Lessons-learned, and Success. A journal of any kind is new to me, but a daily journal seems a bit intimidating. But I'm always up for a challenge, and even if that challenge has me write about my day, every day. If you are interested in a copy of the article, e-mail me at Rodney.Bass@DMN3.com

Reading More Books
We have a really good system at the agency where when one of us finishes a book, we pass it along to someone we think would enjoy it. Recently, I was handed "Linchpin" (Seth Godin), with a few others that are lined up - "The Facebook Effect" (David Kirkpatrick) and a David Baldacci thriller "Hell's Corner." Another new book of positive interest is being published by Pam Lockard (CEO of DMN3, my employer) entitled "Profiles in Marketing Excellence." It's a collection of interviews with 25 top marketing executives, from around the globe. It includes a tremendous amount of insight and is a book that I am looking forward to really getting into next year. Not to mention, a book I plan to blog more about in my updates. So keep reading!

Continuous Education
I enjoy hearing about what others are doing in the industry for the purpose of their client's and career's success. I plan on allocating more of my time and energy to continuously educating myself through the benefit of local association chapters. I also plan to give back to these awesome groups by amping up my membership activity with the Houston Chapter of the American Marketing Association (www.houstonama.org), The Houston Interactive Marketing Association (www.houstonima.org) and the British American Business Council Houston (www.babchouston.org). Each have been valuable sources of information, inspiration, and friendship since moving here and working at DMN3.
Appreciation of Family
I must admit, I can be a workaholic at times. Sometimes it's hard to put down the cell phone and laptop in the evenings and weekends. When it's something you enjoy, it doesn't feel like work. But I need to remember that it does to my family. What can I say? I'm a family man - I love my wife and kids! So, I'm going to take more time to appreciate them and planning fun trips and activities that will strengthen our bond. Ultimately, having a tight, solid home base is good for my work and my career. It's all about keeping a good balance between work and life.
I think I have a pretty good plan to my start for 2011. Now, what are your keys to success in 2011?


No comments:
Post a Comment