Monday, September 27, 2010

Clean up Your Act!!

I am continually frustrated with companies that don't take the time to properly address data issues when sending out direct mail.  Let me tell you about two mail pieces that should not have been sent.

The most recent occurrence was a piece from Dish Network.  The offer was a great promotional rate for 12 months because they miss me as a customer, and want me to return.  The only problem of course is that I am a 7 year customer!!  I did transfer my service in Missouri when I moved to Texas, but that was over a year ago!  I didn't call to redeem the offer, but I would guess I would not be eligible - it was only open to new customers, without Dish services over the past 12 months.

Another example of wasted marketing dollars is from a local radiant barrier treatment company that continues to mail offers for their service - to their own past customers!  These folks were already paying customers that absolutely have no reason to redeem the offer again - the treatment lasts for up to 25 years!  I have a colleague that has received 6+ mail pieces from this company over the past 4 months.

I share these examples to show how companies (sometimes even big ones) waste money by overlooking a very simple step in their planning process for effective direct marketing.  For those that love the creativity of planning the look and feel of a mail piece, thinking about the database will make them glaze over with boredom, but ridding past customers and using the cleanest possible data can make a huge difference on your response rates and subsequent ROI.

Do you want to protect that budget for next year?  Send me an e-mail to learn more about our in house data cleansing and hygiene process.

No comments:

Post a Comment